Thursday, August 12, 2010

Understanding the magnitude of things…

As some of you know, my dear friend Leslie is the catalyst for our experiment in convertible cooking. So we converse often about her issues, desires and the results of eating the wrong thing.

Now, I have not been diagnosed with any disease that I am aware, and I am just trying to pay attention to what my body is telling me. Like “that hurts” and “don’t do that”, with obvious discomfort and non-verbal communications. But fortunately for me I have not had to survive and endure the hell that my friend has over the last decade.

We spoke yesterday about “trying new things”. Well, for most people it’s not a big deal, we are encouraged as children to do this, as it will expand our experience and help us gain understanding about cultures and even ourselves. But when it is dangerous to your person, insofar as complete incapacitation, to the point of being confined to a wheelchair and possible brain damage, it gives a lesson in perspective.

Food has been a major “event” in my life, for lack of a better term. It has ruled, dominated, and engulfed me and my family. You are “IN” if you are invited to eat with us. If you have dietary issues or don’t like something we have prepared for you we take great offence, and it is discussed long after you have left. If you have the opportunity to stay you will get regaled by “don’t be so picky” and “how do you know you don’t like it if you’ve never tried it?” But our naiveté is not meant to cause harm; it is all in jest and good fun, even to let you know you’re loved.

But what harm are we causing? My Mom was told what to give me by the supposed “experts” to stop my colic (as she has wrote about in her "Reasons") and we wonder now what damage that doctor caused to my body, that I’ve been dealing with for over 42 years.

Leslie has scar tissue, she doesn’t know about the brain damage, but the FEAR that she deals with everyday about what is in and around her body that could cause real harm to her, I can’t image. Imagine looking at some beautiful, succulent and "harmless" little fruit like a blueberry and wonder “will this kill me?”

My fear is only of a stomach ache and maybe a headache, hers is blackouts and seizures. Questions like “Who will take care of me if something happens? “are in her head daily, and she knows she can’t count on her family. The good intentions they have could kill her, it’s that simple.

So we talked yesterday about baking mixes and new Gluten Free brands that we have found, and she tells me she’s not willing to try them, my reaction is programmed, but then I remember who I’m talking to. She has every right to say “no”, we are trying to help not cause harm.

We know we can’t cook for people in our kitchen right now because we are “contaminated” the favorite pans are dangerous to some, so we have to eat and share with lay people who don’t know about Celiac Spru, or Gluten sensitivities…we ask how it tastes, and would you ever know it doesn’t have; what they know, as”flour” in it. Take our kudos and go on our merry way…and tell you all about it.

My friend gives me perspective every day about how lucky I am, to be as healthy as I am, and that I can help some live that much better, and enjoy a difficult existence just a little more. For that I am grateful.

Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment