Friday, August 13, 2010

Tofu is as Tofu Does



Tofu Bean Icing for Cakes
Who’d believe this is Beans?
My icing is so good I can’t believe it myself…Tofu, more Tofu and 10X 
Sugar turned out so well!
Of course it was always planned…it was the execution that was difficult. I 
finally added 15 Tbs. of my LOVELY LEMON FRUIT DIP “mistake sauce” to ½ pound of 
10X Confectioners Sugar ONE tablespoon at a time until I got it to a spreading 
consistency for my layers.  
 Before I began frosting my two layers I spread the bottom layer with 
Dickenson’s Lemon Curd as I wanted an extra edition of 
wonderful tart lemon-ness as my family adores the sharp lemon bite with the 
extra sugary-ness of anything that I make with lemon.  
 There is NEVER enough lemon flavor for my group…but as lemon curd is a 
jelly-like addition added here for color and our taste it can be eliminated as 
Dickinson’s Lemon Curd is made with eggs, butter (cream made from milk) and 
salt, plus other things that might cause problems for some folks but is was the 
only brand I could purchase at two stores. Leave it out as this cake and 
frosting will stand on it’s own without it. 
 But back to my icing…I found it to have a lovely consistency at 15 Tbs. but 
after spreading it a bit I felt it could have taken the 1 Tbs. more to make it a 
full cup. This would yield softer spreadablity as it was easier to spread it 
upon itself than the top of the cake…it had a drag and “tear-up” quality about 
it. In thinking this problem through it might be alright to add ½ tsp. Pompeian 
Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil www.naooa.org as I happen to have some.
So if you’re feeling a bit daring …I would try to make this icing from scratch 
again this way: 

 
Carol’s TOFU FROSTING-
Mix 2oz. Silken Tofu (butter replacement) with 1oz. Creamed cheese Alternative 
(dairy replacement) to the ½ Box or ½ pound 10X Confectioners Sugar plus ½ tsp. 
Olive Oil and see what happens!  
 I used fluted edged pans and always wanted to allow my added blueberries to 
show…never intending to spread this icing on the sides of this pretty cake…so a 
thinner glaze would have worked just as well for me. I struggled for the sake of 
photographic beauty!  
 Not much of a struggle really as we all felt this cake was a success last 
evening as we enjoyed a thick and gooey slice with a hot cup of tea as per 
custom in our home at 11:00 p.m. 

We’d just enjoyed the last showing of “Despicable Me” at the Island Cinemas 
after the afternoon of food photography and experimentation…so we went to bed 
soon after leaving my cake covered and sitting on the counter.  
 This morning revealed some Slippin’ and Slidin’ of my pretty blueberries and 
frosting from the cake’s edge.
Now I must remember and remind myself in spite of the lovely creamy texture and 
flavor… this icing is made from Soy Beans! 
Tofu is as tofu does and it says on my packages of Soya Kaas Natural Cream 
Cheese Alternative www.panosbrand.com and NaSoya Silken Tofu stating “Keep Refrigerated”. So you might want to store this 
cake in the refrigerator if there are any leftovers from your first servings.  
 This IS a delicious cake and the Namaste’ Vanilla Cake mix that I began with is 
a terrific product for future experiments in fine eating. Leslie, our Celiac 
Spru suffering friend, trusts their products and that’s good enough for me to 
try and make good things happen. 

Try it yourself and enjoy the good company and companionship that comes when 
EVERYONE can enjoy this Luscious Lemon Cake with or without the berries and the 
Lemon Curd. 
Here’s to better baking!  
Carol 

2 comments:

  1. Is the lemon curd gluten free? (labeled on the package?) And the Nasoya?
    The frustrating part about alot of "gluten free" recipes, is that many brands and types of food just cant be found gluten free due to contamination during the packaging process - aka wheat dusting, fillers etc ---
    so when i read recipes using brands that are not gluten free on the label (or after calling the company) i usually lose interest completely cause finding out what is and isnt gluten free has been a big pain in the ass for me for the last ten years.

    The wubby is feeling left out on some of these recipes, cause they are using so many things i can't have or dont know if i can have!

    ReplyDelete