Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gingersnaps and Banana Cake

As the storm clouds gather over my island home here on the coast of Georgia, I
thought I might tell the connection that these two items have in common besides
me, the baker. I’m enjoying baking off my 44 year old favorite recipes with
Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Flour. Wheat Free, Gluten Free,
and Dairy Free if possible, except for my Banana Cake that I made with
Stonyfield Organic YoBaby banana yogurt.
Bob’s Red Mill offers Xanthan Gum that is needed when you bake with the All
Purpose Flour. Find it at the natural foods store and the directions for how
much to use are on the flour package to give you the results you expect, and
from what I’ve read a little is all you need…more is NOT better.
Neither of my recipes are sugar free for those unfortunate among us that
are diabetic…sorry. But so far, this wheat eater is impressed, going gluten
free, etc. The banana cake I pulled from the oven minutes ago smells heavenly
and looks beautiful.

The base recipe was once a $100,000.00 winner in a baking contest. The fun for
me is whatever flavor yogurt I use, this recipe never fails to please whenever I
bake it…the cake is just a Winner!
My Gingersnaps are nearly world famous…having traveled by plane, train,
car and the good old USPS to those I love for all these years.

So messing with them caused a moment of hesitation and heart palpitation when I
decided to attempt changing things. I don’t ever like to change much of
anything…ever, especially when whatever... works REALLY well and especially with
ones own baking reputation’s building staples. But again, I confess, these
crinkly-sugar-topped Grandma’s Molasses flavored
beauties turned out wonderfully.

So far I’m not quite ready to hand out my two fabulous recipes to anyone
just yet…but I’m working on it. But to buy a package of something that works as
a near equal to my old fashion way of doing things demands a discussion about
“old dogs learning new tricks” as this happy old dog has been learning with
Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour. I’m here to shout it out!
Give some of your old favorite recipes a brush off…it feels like your visiting
and old friend and will put some new ideas in your head about how you’ve found
yourself doing the same old thing over and over.

During this recession when sadly everything fun has been rearranged and money is
tight for a lot of folks, a few simple changes can make life a little more fun
and a lot more flavorful and as I’ve found, good for me! What a plus, and isn’t
a taste of the good life what it’s all about anyway? Take something old and
make it new…its fun.

Enjoy!
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment