Sunday, July 18, 2010

Goat Revelations

Goat Butter Revelations


I haven’t had butter in years… on noodles, or toast. I’ve had it in things that I and other people have baked, but just butter for the sake of butter; not for a while.
So that’s the good news right? No butter in your diet, no bread, no noodles…better that way, better for you. That’s what I thought, but now it’s about pleasure.


I have had such physical pain over things that I have eaten that I thought I enjoyed. But now, I wonder did I ever truly enjoy them? All butter pound cakes, and butter cream frostings, sour cream cakes and butter sauces. Did I enjoy them or was I following along with the crowd?


I ask this after going to a 69 year old’s birthday party yesterday. My parent’s neighbor had a”dessert only”, so you can imagine. It was a feast for the eyes to be sure. So, I let the hostess scoop me up some treats that I “had to try”, mostly to be hospitable and not offend, but I was only interested in the cherry cobbler. (I’ve always preferred fruit desserts anyway, usually without ice cream…hmmm?)But I ate what was on my plate as per the custom of my family’s ‘Clean Plate Club’ or if you’re 10 “the klean-kla-klub”.


It was good, but was it worth it? I’m in agony today, and last night was uncomfortable bloated feeling and instant sinus issues. I feel "hung-over" for lack of a better term, and I'm in need of a clean out. I’m enjoying my freshly juiced carrot, ginger, apple, spinach, cabbage and celery protein shake more than that chocolate dessert, and can you believe it? I’m amazed I’m saying it now. But it’s true.


But back to the goat products- I’ve tried all different kinds of goat and sheep cheeses, I love cheese and crackers at cocktail hour, another family custom, but when we started shopping to do our test cooking for this Convertible Cooking project I discovered Goat Butter specifically Meyenburg Goat Products. Oh my, I’m in love, absolute and utter bliss on your tongue, no pun intended.


It melts like butter, it smells like butter, its mild like butter, because it’s, you guessed it, Butter. So here is the question; is this a good thing? 


Well I have 2 answers to that;


Answer 1: NO, if you’re trying to watch your caloric intake and fat content and general dietary issues. Stay away because you’ll want this every morning on your toast or muffin, grits or cornbread, slathered on noodles or baked potato, trust me.


Answer 2: YES! Absolutely for the sheer pleasure of tasting butter again YES! But like everything else, moderation is the key. Savor it, and enjoy! And know that it doesn’t hurt like real butter does.


My body can digest goat and sheep products, unlike cow, and surprisingly they are all bovine creatures. And I have just learned from the Official Journal of the International Goat Association that Goat and Sheep’s milks "products such as ice cream, beverage milk and milk powder made from goat or sheep milk, due to their nutritional and antiallergenic properties, can be a beneficial alternative milk product for children, young and sick people." Something about cow’s milk, whether it’s the lactose or the proteins I don’t know but when it causes physical pain you have to pick your battles.


So I will battle on for my Goat products! Chevre’, butter, yogurt, Gouda and my favorite soft cheese with wine, Drunken Goat, I will fight on, I will search and I will savor for you!


Oh yeah, by the way I also discovered Ricotta, Mozzarella and this wonderful soft cheese called Manouri, which is a sheep product I think, but Ohmigosh!


Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment